Okanagan Kids Care Fund Kids Care purpose is, “to benefit children of the Central Okanagan by identifying their special needs and requirements and then developing plans and programs to meet them.” Kids Care is operated as a public service by radio stations, 1031 Beach Radio and Power 104 and area TD Canada Trust Bank branches. As a result there are no operating costs associated to the charity—the partners pay all costs. Every dollar raised for Kids Care goes directly to designated projects. A volunteer advisory council takes responsibility for the success of Kids Care. Kids Care began operations on May 5, 1995. Since then, the organization has raised about $1.4 million in support of children in the Okanagan. Kids Care is supported by fundraising activities of local businesses and organizations in the Okanagan.
Fund Recipients Kids Care was instrumental in renovating the Kelowna General Hospital’s Pediatric Ward and building a Children’s Health Centre in it’s place. The charity’s contribution to this project was approximately $800,000. Kids Care has contributed $60,000 to help construct a Water spray park that opened Spring 2010 in West Kelowna!
Other fund recipients have included:
- PacificSport Okanagan: to help integrate, educate and bring awareness to physical literacy programs for children, enabling them to develop the confidence and skills required to maintain an active healthy lifestyle.
- Central Okanagan Food Bank: Ongoing support of community Food Banks and programs to supply diapers and formula for babies.
- Easter Seal Camp: Construction of camp area and purchase of play equipment for disabled children.
- Reach Out Youth Counseling: to help them provide more, much needed professional services to our young people.
- Central Okanagan Child Development Association: raised funds to assist the COCDA with renovations to their premises, including installation of a modern elevator.
- CNIB: to help fund CNIB programs for children. Westside Boys & Girls Club: raised funds to improve and equip the gymnasium facilities at the Westside Boys and Girls Club. Bankhead Learning Centre: to purchase equipment and to help construct a facility at Bankhead Elementary School designed to provide services to “At Risk” families.
- Johnson Bentley Memorial Aquatic Centre: provided much needed equipment such as aquatic wheelchair, recreation mats and life jackets for facility in Westbank.
- Westside Softball Association: Purchased softball equipment and batting cages. Kelowna General Hospital Adolescent Psychiatric Unit: Funds donated to help construct new unit for adolescent psychiatric care at Kelowna General Hospital.
If you have a Kids Care Fundraising Idea or Event you would like us to know about please email us!
All support is Welcome for our children.